Tribute To Kuya Boyet (aka Manny)

I am honored to have been selected to write this tribute about someone who I consider many things to me including: Kapitbahay, Adopted Cousin, Confidant, very good friend but most of all, our outgoing Alumni Association RMCHS Batch ’70 President! You all know who I am referring to: Manuel Palafox Jr. , or Manny or as I call him Kuya Boyet.

I wish I could be there with you to honor Kuya Boyet. But due to a minor geographical detail, I have to write my tribute and I am hoping this will just be just as good. I have known Kuya Boyet since a very young and tender age. We lived next door to each other in Bignay where we were molded by our dear parents, elders and friends.

 I used to borrow Kuya’s bicycle and ride down the street. Kuya Boyet, being the eldest child of his family was the Boss, the bully and the leader of his siblings. in contrast, I was the youngest of my siblings and of course, they used to bully me. Even though we were in opposite situations we became very close.

I remember spending time together, hanging out, listening to music like the Lettermen marathon, exchanging stories about friends, crushes, the latest fad and most of all I remember telling him my tales of woe about being bullied by my siblings. Kuya Boyet would always patiently and attentively listen to me. We went to the same elementary school – Quirino Elementary School in Anonas Street , Project 2, We often walked to school together and he used to criticize my bakyas and would always ask me why I have to wear bakyas to school – but when I told him that it was all my mom can provide for me, he will always have a calming face for me.

In high school, as most of us did – we started to have crushes and puppy loves. I started to get my share of admirers and there were at least one or two that would go through my Kuya Boyet to get to me. I shared with him the boys that caught my interest. And of course, I solicited his opinion about these boys which he gladly provided. I have endless fond memories of this guy – but I fear I will bore you with them!

So, Kuya Boyet – Congratulations on your upcoming extended travel to Australia. How I wish you were coming closer to the U.S. instead of further away, so we could visit more often, but I am happy for you all the same.

Most of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for leading the officers of Alumni Association of Ramon Magsaysay (Cubao) High School Batch ’70 for the awesome work you have done for Batch reunion – I am sure I speak for everyone when I say that it was wonderful to re-connect and catch up with old friends and make new ones.

Kuya Boyet – I love you, thank you very much and my best to you and Aida on your travel.

Regards,

Edwina I. Villanueva
March 24, 2012


Despedida Moments here .

Popular posts from this blog

Reuel Aguila

Rolando Mendoza